Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Elsie's Arrival Story & Newborn Pics

Elsie Jane joined our family February 27th. She is simply lovely. 

And in honor of her first ever half-birthday (happening tomorrow), I've decided to record her birth story!

Better late than never, right?

To accompany the story, I've finally dug out the CD of her adorable newborn photoshoot (thanks again Chalice!) from the box it was in from the move.




Because I was a week overdue, my doctor ordered an induction on the evening of the 26th. Honestly, being induced was pretty terrible. Intense, overlapping contractions happened almost right away until 3am, when apparently I hadn't dilated AT. ALL. I was pretty upset about that fact, so at 3am I accepted some crazy narcotic that made me hallucinate a kaleidoscope of stuffed animal armies and eventually sleep. 




At about 7am, I had dilated to a 3cm (hurray!) and my absolute favorite doctor just happened to start his shift right when I was moved into Labor & Delivery (about 7:30am). I was so grateful because Dr Jacobs was the best.




I was pretty nauseated from the narcotic, but once my stomach calmed down I was given an epidural and some pitocin. I went back to sleep until about 10:30am, when I woke up feeling some interesting "pressure". It turned out to be Elsie's head :) I was at a 10cm and feeling great. The doctor said he wanted to wait a little longer to push, to see if she'd come further on her own, so I went back to sleep for half an hour feeling surprisingly comfortable and happy. 




At about 11am the doctor had me start pushing, and four minutes later Elsie Jane was born! It was very calm and wonderful and there she was! She was so puffy and beautiful :) After that the placenta came out beautifully. (I was so grateful because it didn't with Isaac.) I was so relieved.

Elsie weighed 8 lbs and 10 oz and was 20.5 inches long. 






She is now 6 months and still fills us up with joy :) She is so happy and pleasant and easy to care for. And once she gives up her 3am feed she'll be absolutely perfect! Ha. 

Isaac loves her too, and they are starting to play together. It makes me so happy :) I'll have to write about that another day, though. 


6 comments:

  1. Suzie, she is a doll! Enjoy celebrating her first half birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful!! So excited for your family! Hope you are doing well! How is being a mom of 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Suzie! She is precious! And I can't believe you made it till 3 am without drugs after an induction. When did you have the induction? I have been induced twice and both times got the epidural right after because I couldn't handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks friends! Becca - Having two is definitely an adventure... it was definitely an easier initial transition than with one for me... but then there are definitely challenges (like when they are both crying). But when they love each other it's the sweetest thing in the world! Heidi - I was induced on the 26th at 8pm... I would love to say I stuck it out because I'm tough, but if I'd have dilated enough before then I would've taken the epidural in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the second delivery was supposed to be easier! I'm getting scared! I'm due Dec. 13 with a boy...so we will have a boy & girl too. But, so worth it. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you're having a boy!!!!!! Congratulations! It actually was easier this time than with Isaac! Ha. I had a longer labor but mostly it was the problem we had with the placenta that made it harder. I'm sure you'll have an amazing delivery!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...