Friday, April 19, 2013

Something to work on...

Summer 2011. My little brother's favorite place to eat is a rest stop :) 
"Their dinner hour and the family time that follows become the center of their day and the object of their best efforts. "

Wow. This is a quote from Elder Clayton's talk from general conference earlier this month. I've just been reading over the talk again and this particular sentence struck a chord.

I grew up having a family dinner at least 6 times each week. (This picture above was a special treat during our holiday:) Being at family dinner was an expectation, not an option. Even though I took it for granted, I can clearly see in hindsight that it gave our family the structure it needed. We gathered and discussed. We touched base. 

Time magazine has an awesome article about the magic of mealtime, and how significant it is to have regular family meals. Here's one quote:

"Studies show that the more often families eat together, the less likely kids are to smoke, drink, do drugs, get depressed, develop eating disorders and consider suicide, and the more likely they are to do well in school, delay having sex, eat their vegetables, learn big words and know which fork to use."

And yet, since I've been married, I've somehow forgotten the real meaning behind the family meal, and often we'll eat something quickly, sitting on the couch, and then move on to something else. 

I'm grateful for the reminder to make it a priority, and "the object of [my] best efforts". I'm trying really hard to develop family traditions, and I know if I don't start now it might be too late or too inconvenient or something when my kids are old enough to really need it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...