Friday, August 31, 2012

My Religion


Occasionally I mention things like "relief society" and "the temple" and "general conference" around here and it just occurred to me that some of you might not know what I'm going on about. So, just in case you are interested I thought I'd share a bit about my faith. 

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's a bit of a mouthful, but it means that I'm a member of the Church of Christ in these 'last' days. ("Saint" is used like it is in the New Testament, like when Paul writes to the "saints" in Ephesus.) It's also known as the LDS church (not the FLDS or RLDS... quite an important distinction!) and the Mormon Church.

Once I was a missionary in San Diego!
I believe that there is a God, our Heavenly Father, who listens to our prayers, and in his son Jesus Christ. I believe in the Holy Ghost, which is a gift you receive after baptism.

I also believe in prophets. Adam, Noah, Moses, John the Baptist, and the Apostles were just some of the prophets who talked to God either directly or through the Holy Ghost and received important directions for their people. They had power (and permission) from God to do important things like set up Temples/Tabernacles, record scripture, and baptize.

Here's a Temple! It's where I got married <3   
Right after we were married :) Can't believe it's been over two years!
I believe there is even a prophet today! The church is set up like it was back when Christ first organized it, with prophets, apostles, teachers, etc, as well as having churches and Temples. Our prophet today is Thomas S. Monson. He travels all over to speak to people but twice a year he and the other apostles speak in a "General Conference" broadcast to the world. It's awesome! And it's coming up in about a month!  

Relief Society is a worldwide society of women. It is designed for service, building strong families, and increasing faith. We meet every Sunday after our main service and Sunday School. The President of the Society addresses us in a worldwide Relief Society general broadcast each year, as well as online and in church magazines. I really love being a part of this.  

Here's me and some friends attending the yearly RS conference in SLC last year :)
I really love this church because through it I've come to know God and my Savior. I've been able to repent and change and become a better person. I love the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and hearing the counsel of living prophets because it helps me keep my focus in an increasingly complex society.

There's so many more things I should explain... like how the church was restored today, what the Book of Mormon is actually about, whether I'm voting for Mitt Romney in the coming election, etc, but for now I'm just going to leave you with this delightful picture of myself from when I taught school children in California about the Mormon Battalion:

"Yep... pretty sure I coulda crossed a few plains..."
And if you do have questions feel free! I'm not easily offended and I love talking about this, I just never know if people are curious or not.

If you'd like to check out the Book of Mormon for yourself, you can request a free copy here. You can also read and listen to the Bible and Book of Mormon online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...