Monday, March 26, 2012

Paulo Coelho Rant



So sad. You find a book you *LOVE* and then none of the author's other work can compare.

I absolutely loved The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, probably most of you have read it and will agree. Yet when I checked out his other work, I was so disappointed!

All of his other books (please! someone correct me if I'm wrong!) deal quite heavily with sexuality and sexual exploration. The one book I thought was going to be a "clean" read was Veronika Decides to Die, but even that discussed things and portrayed scenes that were way too graphic for my taste. I was able to skip most of it but even the doctor's discussion of sexuality was disturbing to me. I ended up skipping to the last chapter to see whether the story ended how I'd guessed. It did.

If there is another book he's written comparable to The Alchemist I would love to know. But for now I'm just going to have to side-step Mr. Coelho from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that isss disappointing! I recently read The Alchemist as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a real shame that the rest of his books are so... well... not like The Alchemist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when that happens! I've been meaning to read The Alchemist for a while; this renewed my conviction!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...