Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My New Addiction...

Over the past 4 months I have developed an irresistible addiction to thrift shopping! I think Brian has caught it too as when someone asked him the other day "What was your favorite thing about the UK?", other than the people his top answer was "Charity shops!"

In every city in the UK there are probably more than half a dozen Charity shops. We probably perused about 50 (at least!) throughout England, Scotland, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland. It was magical. Really. Thrift shopping in the U.S. is definitely fun, but somehow old British stuff appeals to me more than old Utah stuff. I have contrived two possible reasons for this:

  1. "Old British stuff" means junk that is anywhere from months to centuries old, and
  2. Utah people use everything they have until it is virtually unusable. This is thanks to such thrifty leaders as Brigham Young who said "Never let anything go to waste. Be prudent, save everything", which is honestly great counsel for us all, it just makes shopping at DI less interesting.
And so in England it began! Brian and I both had some fantastic finds, I'll have to post pictures. And though DI may not be as exciting as the UK, we've still been able to rustle up some amazing buys. In Idaho Brian found a textbook he'd used last year for $1, it'd been on sale in the bookstore for over $100! I'm so glad because by selling textbooks on Ebay we'll be able to fund my addiction a little longer...!

2 comments:

  1. I am also a fan of thrift shopping!! I go a couple times each week. The owners of the thrift shops know me by name and I hardly ever spend more then $10 at a time! I would love to see the photos of some your great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift shopping too! My husband HATES it. So you are extremely lucky! Um English shops are way better! I remember going to a tiny used book shop and found a super old gone with the wind first impression for 10p! I also like the cash in the attic type shops better in England. Because all the stuff is so old! Anyway on with the thrift shopping!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...