Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding!

What a wonderful day! There's not a lot of things that get us Brits in the Patriotic mood, but today was certainly an event brimming with British pride. The Royal Wedding was lovely and went without a hitch. Luckily, Brian and I are in Idaho so we were able to watch the whole shabang. Nope, we didn't get up at 4am (thank you DVR!) but it was still so exciting to watch everything unfold. CBS wasn't exactly the most tasteful broadcaster (comparing the Middleton and Royal families first meeting to The Fockers, talking over prayers, etc) but it was still fun.

The unconventional second kiss!
I feel like the wedding came at a critical point in British history, not just for the survival of the monarchy but also for the British morale and identity. I'm not a royalist per se, but I can see the value of retaining this part of our history. I think the wedding, not only because of how it was directed but also because of Kate's upbringing, has proved to be a great unifying force. The day was proclaimed a national holiday (no work, no school) to give everyone the opportunity to be part of The Big Day.

The wedding also gave Brian and I an opportunity to reflect on our own wedding, just over 8 months ago. I used to make fun of my mum for crying at weddings (among other things!) but I got emotional myself! It was a really nice service. One part made me feel how lucky I am... when they got to the "til death us do part" bit. So sad. We're really glad we were able to get married in a Temple by someone with authority straight from God to make it an eternal marriage.

Here are some of my favorite pictures so far:

I love the Queen. I especially like how she matched the Archbishop...

Gotta love it!

2 comments:

  1. I got up a bit early but I didn't watch the ceremony just highlights. I watched it on the today show coverage because I like them better than all the other stations. It was fun to watch though! I agree that this will help keep the monarchy for a bit longer because of her upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the Royal Wedding! It was lovely!
    And her dress was stunning!
    I love the Royal Family and how the British still keeps such an important part of their history.
    Thanks for your words Susie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...