Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Proper English Dinner!

Yep, here it is. I cooked my first authentic English dinner a wCheck Spellingeek or two ago, and here is the proof. Family, be prepared to be impressed :)

But first, for the sake of comparison, let us admire a picture of a REAL Proper English dinner, piled high:



And without further ado, here is my attempt:


I know, I know.... Beautiful, right?!

Ha.

It would've made a better picture had I not eaten half of it already! It really was delicious...



Here's what makes it a Proper English Dinner:
  • Mashed potatoes (preferably accompanied by roast potatoes, of course)
  • Gravy! (This is obviously not Proper English Bisto, but anything is better than nothing)
  • SEVERAL types of vegetables (at least 3, excluding potatoes). Popular choices are carrots, brocolli, sweet corn (aka corn), roasted parsnips, peas, runner beans, cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, and cabbage. 
  • Smallish serving of meat (roast chicken is my family's preference) and, of course...
  • Yorkshire puddings! (I hear the secret to making good Yorkshires is to talk to them... I think mine could have done with a little more conversation!)

1 comment:

  1. nice job Suzie.... although that gravy could never pass as English - do you need some Bisto??? x x x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...